Monday, January 18, 2010

Our New Place

We made the 15 hour journey from QLD into country NSW two weeks ago today. When we first arrived I was not that excited about the location or how big I thought the house looked from the outside. The 15 minute drive to the closest city felt more like half an hour the first time we drove it but now it feels so quick. The scenery is very dry, flat & brown with lots & lots of sheep! Very different from traffic lights, traffic jams, houses lining the roads & cars everywhere. We live on the corner of two main roads & a car passes about every 5-10 minutes...not what you would call a main road where we have moved from. Once we were able to get inside the house I was amazed at how big it was. Plenty of space for our family & we even have a guest room for all those visitors we are going to get (yes, I mean you guys!). The storage space is incredible & we have not needed any of the chests of drawers we shipped down with us. Didnt take us long to unpack & settle in. The boys are in a room together & even have space in between the bunks for a bookcase or chest of drawers if we need to later. The toy room is big enough to fit an extra bed if we need to as well (in case some of you visit together :D). The six sheep that were here already are finally getting used to us & seem to enjoy watching the boys ride up & down the driveway. There have been many expeditions in the sheep paddock & lots of holes dug around the clothes line & swing set during major excavation projects. Thor, our dog, has also been enjoying the huge yard we have here. Going from a small strip of grass at our last place to here has been great for him. Thankfully he seems to stick with the boys when they are outside & hasnt looked like trying to run away or wander off at all. I am also enjoying the peaceful surroundings. It is very easy to loose time & even days here because its so isolated. It will take a little getting used to, not having neighbours you see every day, but then I had the best neighbour back home so I dont think she could ever be replaced. I miss all my family & friends everyday. I am sure time is super-speeded here so I will be seeing them all again before I know it. I do miss being able to go visit people I know to keep the kids busy or get them out of the house. I'm sure that will come in time though. We have found a nice church & met some lovely people. This week will be filled with enrolling the boys in school & getting uniforms organised for when they start next week. The school we would like to send them to may not have a place in the Kindergarten for Wyatt so we are praying that a spot becomes available.
Love to all. XO



A tour of our place........

This is the front of our place. To try & keep the flies out we went to spotlight & bought the cheapest netting we could find & tacked it up over all the doors. Of course the cheapest was a lovely fluoro orange! Will be good when they get screen doors put on.





We also tied up a big old canvas sign outside our bedroom to try & keep the heat out. Man the sun has got some heat down here. You could seriously fry an egg on the bricks at 9pm on the 40 degree days, the heat radiates out & can be felt from over a metre away, incredible!






One of our lovely plam trees. Lots of places seem to have palm trees. Weird seeing as we are as far from tropical & the beach as you could possibly get. Maybe its supposed to be a small escape from the countryside when you stand there & stare at it long enough?! Lol.




This is the back of the house where the carport & laundry entrance are. There is a concrete verandah that goes the whole way around, which the kids love. The carport & verandah will come in handy when it rains. The kids toy room opens out onto the carport so they have plenty of room to play with their toys.

These are the closest houses to us! You can just see their roof's in the distance. I guess you'd say they are our neighbours.



This is the side of the house. More orange netting & verandah. :D This is the side that the lounge room is on. The sun rises on this side so it doesnt come into the bedrooms first thing in the morning which is good.

The yard right near the carport was the perfect spot for the tramp & swingset. There are two trees that give shade for half of the day. I love the clothes line which is an old hills hoist...my favourite because you can fit so much on it!

Our lounge room & front entry. Ignore the mess, you know what its like with kids around, stuff everywhere.

The lounge room viewed from the kitchen entrance. We have set up the office to the right, just out of the picture. The loungeroom is huge.



Kitchen & dining area are also a great size. We managed to fit the big deep freeze in the dining room to the right just out of the picture.


Our hallway that leads to the bathroom, toilet & bedrooms. First room on the right is the boys, next right is the guest bedroom & ours is up the end. First on the left is the bathroom, then the toilet, then the toy room. The hallway has a huge triple linen cupborad as does the laundry.





Boys bedroom fits both bunks easily with plenty of room to move in between.




This is what all the bedrooms have, built in shelving that goes the length of one wall. I think its great! No need for chests of drawers.


The boys bathroom has a bath & a separate shower which is great.

The guest bedroom.


Our bedroom, sorry about the dark picture, flash wouldnt go off. Nice big room with double doors that open to the verandah. We get a lovely breeze that flows through the house & keeps things cool.


Our ensuite. You can see the shower in the mirror & the toilet is beside it. Very spacious.


The long driveway from the front gate to the house. Great for riding bikes.


This is the front gate to our place. I like it, very rural & rustic.


Our lawn mowers, the sheep.
















2 comments:

  1. I'm so comming to visit. I'm in Newcastle in August, don't move, I'll drive across...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I'll book you in. The guests seem to be peetering out after July, so we need more bookings for later in the year. :D

    ReplyDelete